- February, 1997: Coastal Alliance Open Space Working Group forms to research open space preservation on the San Mateo Coast.
- March, 1997: Working group holds a series of meetings with MROSD directors and interested citizens to learn about the district and about coastal open space issues. Meetings result in suggestion that the District undertake a formal study of coastal resource preservation.
- April 9, 1997: MROSD Board votes to form an Ad Hoc Committee and authorizes research of methods for Open Space Preservation on the San Mateo Coast. The action is supported by a petition letter from the Coastal Alliance and resolutions from the Concerned Citizens of the Coastside, Pescadero Municipal Advisory Council, MidCoast Community Council, and Half Moon Bay City Council.
- May - September, 1997: MROSD Ad Hoc Committee and District staff develop work plan, meet with various agencies, organizations, elected officials and other stakeholders involved with open space issues on the San Mateo Coast. While interest and support for open space preservation on the coast was very high, the committee found that no other organization appeared to be a position to take a major role in Coastside preservation efforts.
- October 8, 1997: At the recommendation of the Ad Hoc Committee, MROSD Board authorizes a public opinion survey on possible coastal expansion.
- November, 1997: Telephone survey of residents of the Coastside and of the existing MROSD area is conducted to gauge interest in coastal open space issues. 92% of respondents indicate that preservation of coastal open space is important.
- February 11, 1998: Ad Hoc Committee issues report of its work to MROSD Board along with recommendation to examine the feasibility of District expansion to include the San Mateo Coast.
MROSD schedules two meetings on the Coastside and a subsequent workshop to listen to coastal residents' concerns about possible District expansion. MROSD mails a notice of the meetings and a copy of 25-year anniversary report to every Coastside mailing address.
- April 16, 1998: Community meeting with Ad Hoc Committee held in Pescadero.
- April 30, 1998: Community Meeting with Ad Hoc Committee held in Half Moon Bay.
- May 20, 1998: Follow-up public workshop with full MROSD Board in Los Altos.
- June, 1998: Second poll of coastal residents shows continued support for coastal open space preservation and solid support for District expansion.
- June 24, 1998: MROSD Board passes resolution putting advisory vote on ballot and resolution to convene Coastal Advisory Committee after election.
- July, 1998: Friends Of Coastal Open Space (FOCOS) formed to campaign on coastside for advisory vote.
This summer and fall,
volunteer your time,
donate money, and endorse
the expansion of MROSD to the San Mateo County coastside.
Questions, comments or suggestions? Please leave a message at 650/728-5212 or write us at